Build Hawaii Awards
The General Contractors Association of Hawaii is proud to present the winners of the 2021 GCA Build Hawaii Awards competition! The GCA Build Hawaii Awards honors GCA members who build the state’s most impressive construction projects ranging across the building, highway and transportation, municipal and utilities, and federal and heavy divisions.
This annual awards program is our opportunity to showcase Hawaii’s most complex and impressive projects constructed by our members that utilize state-of-the-art innovation and techniques. This program cannot be successful without the support of our generous corporate partners. We hope that you will consider becoming a sponsor, information coming soon for 2022.
General Contractor members as well as Specialty Contractor members are encouraged to submit multiple entries in various categories.
Interested in the planning of this event? Join the Build Hawaii Committee! Contact Gladys Hagemann at email@example.com.
2021 BUILD HAWAII AWARDS
Recipients of the Build Hawaii Awards have demonstrated the very best when it comes to building a better Hawaii and exemplifying GCA’s motto, ‘Quality People. Quality Projects’.
GRAND AWARD: QUEEN EMMA BUILDING RENOVATION - Swinerton Builders (Renovation / Remodeling $20 Million & Above)
Swinerton Builders, in collaboration with the Ahe Group and Southport Financial Services, worked on the Queen Emma Building Renovation, which involved repurposing the historic 12-story structure in downtown Honolulu, affectionally known as the “Pimple Building.” The renovation involved converting the commercial center into 71 new, affordable residential units with lobbies, administrative offices, storage lockers, lounge, laundry facilities, and more for individuals with low- to moderate-income.
Congratulations to the 2021 Award of Excellence winners (Project Name / Company / Category):
- UH-WEST OAHU'S CREATIVE MEDIA FACILITY - Kiewit Building Group, Inc. (Design-Build / Design-Assist Construction Under $50 Million)
- WESTIN MAUI RESORT & SPA, KAANAPALI - Swinerton Builders (Design-Build / Design-Assist Construction $50 Million & Above)
- WAIHEE STREAM EMERGENCY REPAIRS - Koga Engineering & Construction, Inc. (Specialty Construction Less than $1 Million)
- KAPAA STREAM BRIDGE - DRILLED SHAFT FOUNDATIONS - Hawaiian Dredging Construction Company, Inc. (Specialty Construction $1 Million - Under $3 Million)
- WAIANAE SMALL BOAT HARBOR PIERS B AND C REPAIR - Healy Tibbitts Builders, Inc. (Specialty Construction $3 Million & Above)
- KEKAULUOHI BUILDING A/C SYSTEM IMPROVEMENTS AND EMERGENCY GENERATOR CONNECTION - Civil-Mechanical Contractor (Environmental Construction)
- TAXIWAY A-C INTERSECTION RECONSTRUCTION AT KAHULUI AIRPORT - Goodfellow Bros. (Federal Construction)
- OPAEKAA BRIDGE REPAIR / REHABILITATION - Hawaiian Dredging Construction Company, Inc. (Highway Construction $1 Million - Under $10 Million)
- NORTH SHORE BRIDEGES - KAWELA AND NANAHU - Kiewit Infrastructure West Co. (Highway Construction $10 Million - Under $25 Million)
- KAPALAMA CONTRAINMENT TERMINAL - Kiewit Infrastructure West Co. (Highway Construction $25 Million - Above)
- SAND ISLAND WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLAN - ULTRAVIOLET CHANNEL INSTALLATION DESIGN-BUILD - Hawaiian Dredging Construction Company, Inc. (Industrial)
- KAMEHAMEHA HIGHWAY, WASTEWATER PUMP STATION 36" FORCE MAIN REPLACEMENT - Healy Tibbitts Builders, Inc. (Municipal and Utilities Construction)
- MAUNAKEA MARKETPLACE AFFORDABLE RENTAL - Ralph S. Inouye Co., Ltd. (Renovation / Remodeling Under $20 Million)
- NOHONA HALE - Swinerton Builders (Residential $5 Million & Above)
- KEAUKAHA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL - A/C EFFICIENCY REPLACEMENT - Aircond Hawaii, Ltd. (Subcontractor $250,000 - Under $1 Million)
- FORD ISLAND SBX COOLING SYSTEM UPGRADE - Dorvin D. Leis Co., Inc. (Subcontractor $1 Million and Above)
- THE QUEEN'S MEDICAL CENTER - WEST OAHU, CLINICAL SERVICES CENTER 3RD AND 4TH FLOOR PACKAGE 2 - Nordic PCL Construction, Inc. (Building Construction $1 Million - Under $10 Million)
- MOANALUA HIGH SCHOOL PERFORMING ARTS CENTER PHASE 2B - Hawaiian Dredging Construction Company, Inc. (Building Construction $25 Million and Above)
Mahalo to our 2021 Sponsors:
Hawaiian Electric Company
Albert C. Kobayashi, Inc.
Central Pacific Bank
Dorvin D. Leis Co., Inc.
Healy Tibbitts Building, Inc.
Kalu Glass Co
Koga Engineering & Construction, Inc.
Ralph S. Inouye Co., Ltd.
Unlimited Construction Services, Inc.
Pacific Business News
2020 Build Hawaii Awards Photos